Here is my recipe for making these lovely baguettes. I used to buy a baguette daily as this is the bread my husband loves. When I decided to make some bread the first idea had to be a baguette, I will insha'Allah try some other varieties soon.
When I first attempted making these baguettes I followed an online recipe but found I had to make slight changes to it for it to work for me. Here is the link to the original recipe I followed: easy-homemade-french-bread
- 2 1/2 Cups of Strong White Bread Flour
- 1 tablespoon of Allinson Easy Bake Yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 Cup of Warm Water
- Olive Oil (used to grease the bowl!)
1) Place the flour into a mixing bowl
2) Add the Salt and mix
3) Add the Yeast and mix
4) Add the glass of warm water and mix
5) Using your hands, you have to knead the dough for about 5 minutes
6) Grease another bowl with olive oil and place the ball of kneaded dough into the bowl, cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place somewhere warm for the dough to rise for 1 hour (or until it doubles in size).
7) Then I remove the dough and break it into 2 pieces. I then form the dough into a shape of a baguette.
8) Once you have 2 baguettes place them onto a baking tray. (I used greaseproof baking paper on the tray) With a sharp knife make some slits across the top of the dough so once cooked they will look like the photo.
9) Place into an oven (not pre-heated) then turn the oven onto 375 F or 190 C for about 30 min or until golden brown.
10) Once cooked remove and place on a tray. Can be eaten warm or left to cool down.
It took me a while to get this recipe to work. I followed the first online recipe but as I was using slightly different ingredients so it didn't work for me. I have tried this recipe quite a few times and has worked great for me. Don't give up if it didn't work - I tried the First recipes 3 times before I got it to work - so glad I didn't stay defeated! Hope you find this recipe useful.
Please note all ovens are different, and food may cook differently - I personally used this method with an Electric Oven.