Above is the photo of my Sofa Makeover! I reupholstered my sofa and a chair all by myself - I have never done this before and I was really pleased with the results! I now have a new sofa nad chair and it cost me nothing!
If you follow my blog you might already know that I recently changed the decoration of my Living Room to a theme colour of Gold and Black. My Sofa and chair had seen much better days and they were quite damaged. I was actually using throws over them to disguise the bad condition! I had some old gold coloured curtains that I no longer used stored away that I used for this project!
Below is a close up of the leather, as you can see it was worn and discoloured!
This was a fairly easy job for me because my sofa and chair have a wooden frame with removable cushions. The only hard part were the arm rests, the easiest part was to make new sofa cushion covers.
Quick Steps on how I did this:
I removed the cushion covers from the cushions, some were slightly different sizes. I took the leather apart and made paper patterns for all the pieces. I then used the paper patterns to cut out new fabric. It is handy to take photos of each cushion and maybe label the paper patterns so you remember which piece goes where.
Once I had the fabric pieces cut, I stitched the pieces together to make a new cushion cover. I actually took the zips from the original cushion covers and re-used them again for the new covers as they were in decent condition! (Saved me more money!)
The arms of the chair and sofa came out and slotted back in. If you look closely at the shape of the arm rests you will notice the new ones are a completely different shape! I decided to change them to a bolster cushion shape! I had to use some extra wadding - which luckily I already had in the house. (Again saved me money!)
Youtube Bolster Cushion tutorial
I made some of the cushion covers from some other fabric that I had. The 3 centred cushions on the sofa were actually gifts from my family. I did spend some money and buy some of the other cushion covers to match with the sofa.
Below is an old photo of when this fabric used to be my curtains! PS: These were one of the first curtains I ever made when I first got my sewing machine! I took this photo as I had planned to sell my 'Gazelle' so needed a photo of it.
In case you missed my other post regarding the room re-decoration below are the photos: Black/gold projects