Monday, 8 August 2011
Sun Lounger Cushion Cover
Above is a photograph of the new cover I made for a sun lounger. Unfortunately I didn’t have any photos of the original fabric covered cushion before the makeover. This is my mums sun lounger, the original cover was pretty much threadbare but the cushion itself was saveable.
I was in the Ikea shop when I noticed the fabric, I thought it looked like the old style beach deck chair material. It was in the sale section, only about 2 metres left on the roll. I automatically thought of my mum’s sun lounger. I bought the last 2 metres immediately because it was so cheap and I thought if she didn’t like it, then I could easily find some other project for it. However she agreed it would be ideal for her sun lounger.
To make the new cover, I took the old cover off and followed the pattern from the old cover, however I did add extra large pieces to the back of the bottom and top, so that the cushion would slip over the frame more securely so to stay in place. The original cover had a habit of slipping off the frame!
My mum is pleased with her new looking lounger. This saved her a lot of money because the cost of replacing the cushion alone would have cost about 10 times more than the price I paid for the fabric, and a new cushion wouldn’t be exactly the same size. So a great bargain in all. At the time I never found any tutorials on the internet. The nearest type of tutorial for sunlounger cushions I have just found recently is on the following website: http://www.ehow.com/how_6876495_do‐recover‐chaise‐lawn‐lounger_.html The above mentioned website doesn't cover making extra flaps that I used to ensure that the cushion stays on the frame, but it does cover the basics of how to make a sunlounger cushion cover.
This week I am linking this post with the following link parties / blog hops: